Friday, April 4, 2008

40 Years Ago

40 years ago today, it was 1968.  I wasn't born and my parents were young children.  1968.  Seems like ages ago to an 18 year old, but so much has changed since then.

If you don't know enough about me to realize why this week and today in particular are so important, then you probably also do not realize that it was today, 40 years ago, that Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated.

Martin Luther King Jr. changed our country through peaceful protests and grassroots organizing.  He realized that he and many American people had a dream- a dream where everyone would be treated like equals.

It is because of people like Martin Luther King Jr. that era of segregation that plagued our country ended.  We still have a long way to go, but huge strides have been made in equality.

For me and for my kids and my grandkids, I want America and the world to come to a point where people can walk down the street and not be scared about seeing a black man standing on the corner or make jokes about those "damn illegals" every time one sees an Hispanic man.  I want people to realize that race, ethnicity, sex, or preference should not be a divider any long.  I want America to see other people in the world as just like them, striving for similar goals rather than the poor Africans, the crazy Arabs, and the communist Chinese.  I want Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to be fully realized- that we will come to a point where everyone sees everyone else as an equal and as a friend.

To check out what my other '68 Favorite (RFK) had to say in response to MLK's death, check out this post, speech, and video from Alex.

No comments: